Friday, August 23, 2024

Roller coaster relationship - G M REDDY

My roller coaster relationship with Prof G M Reddy



Prof GM at Genetics Symposium on 31st Jan 2009
Had privilege to honor my teacher in my capacity as HoD Department of Genetics 

This is purely my personal experience of 41 years with one of my teacher-cum colleague, lucky to share birth date 



My roller coaster relationship with
Professor Gurjal Madhava Reddy(GM)
(1968-2009)

By Dwarkanath K Murthy

1968

GM was second, to the founder of genetics department  Prof.OSReddi. (1966). My first interaction with GM was in 1968, when he came to meet My father, as a co plot owner besides. He enquired about my studies while I was into my II yr BSc., then advised to take genetics at PG said it has a good scope, he mentioned about his return from XII INTERNATIONAL GENETICS CONGRESS at Tokyo a month earlier. This was further stimulated Dr.Hargobind Khorana getting Nobel prize in the same year for synthesis of artificial gene. In addition to these, factors attracting towards Genetics, was attending golden jubilee celebrations of OU and visiting all the Science departmental exhibits. Ironically the Genetics department had the best display, followed by Physics. At that point of time, in today's language you can say cutting edge technology was adopted. I vividly remember the maize cobs colourful segregation patterns, detection of blood groups, use of tiny fruit flies, understanding colour blindness. Astonishingly both me and My dad  who accompanied me, were found to be colour blind. I have inherited from my mom. The best lab was the Radiation biology laboratory with  Geiger Muller counter, robotic control for radioisotope use, variety of equipments, vinyl flooring etc.

1970
I joined  my PG program in Genetics the first of its kind in the country offered only at Osmania University. By that time I had forgotten GM, and he happened to handle general genetics class with all his American module (he had spent over a decade in US, with a degree from Colorado). 
   Roots of animosity amongst us generated when I did not join his lab for my dissertation during II year, instead enrolled with Subramanyam SS. To my surprise GM had to be of help as an internal examiner, as SS left to UK, the other examiner was from IVRI, Izattnagar, Delhi. There was hidden role of GM in my getting a first division in MSc, during moderation of results I am told he was responsible for adding 5 marks by which I was falling short. Getting a I division in those day was very rare.

During dissertation  period it was almost a 365 day schedule, once on a Sunday in 1972 I went on Jawa to the Dept. GM, highly punctual used to be present seven days a week. It so happened he had not come by his own vehicle (normally he used to come by cycle on Sunday's, an American hangover). At 3 pm he sent me word to be dropped on my bike, but not to be my piggy backer, but of his student Sivaram Reddy (my class fellow who moved to US in 1973). This was against my will and his ego came his way to come with me. Finally he chose his way.

Subsequently I joined for doctoral program in 1972 with SS, again against GMs wishes. He was unceremoniously moved to botany department with baggage (lab) during Justice Jagan Mohan Reddy's vice chancellorship, following his deeds. Even the founder head was stripped off his headship and the reins were in the hands of VR Srinivasan, head chemistry, principal and Dean all in one. It was a blessing for me to get selected for the teaching post during this period, at a national level selection, with Justice JMR at the helm.

GMs entrusted me to compile data of the department for a profile in 1979. It was a challenge to extract information from fellow colleagues. My exclusive contribution to the booklet was a diagram of double helix photocopied from one of my molecular genetics book (a gift I got from Scientific American, NY). He  gratefully acknowledge my contribution in the compilation.

During my marriage GM was away at US, he reciprocated my invitation with a beautifully worded letter cum greeting, which is well preserved. But here I have a suspect, that, during his stay at NY he scuttled my post doctoral position at college of Physicians and Surgeons, School of Medical Genetics,  NY State Psychiatric  Institute.

 Not much of a day to day interaction prevailed till he took over headship. Once he took over the headship I became a pawn, he tactfully moved me to Nizam College saying he needed a good teacher with some experience instead of new recruits. After almost a decade I learnt that my junior Anwar was issued orders to join NC, the same was wrapped up from everyone. Even today the linkage between GM and Anwar is mysterious (assumably minority factor). The crux is that I was never officially transferred to NC (a constituent college) by Osmania University, but rose to the pinnacle of administration during 1993-96, administering 125 teachers, 195 non teaching staff an 3000 students.


During his headship another casualty was, not forwarding my application to overseas assignment at Hungary which was a sure shot, though  in 80s, 90s we were co attendees in several conferences at Toronto, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Calcutta, Mysore, Bangalore, Hissar etc.

In 1985 his positive role was, to rope me in as member of the organising committee for conduct of XV conference of Environmental Mutagen Society of India, but I was not an active participant due to reasons known to self.
 
It was in 1985 he played the dirtiest role ever, I was the sole candidate under the merit promotion scheme for promotion to Readership, and at any cost he wanted to stop it, be it even physically, as revealed by some senior colleagues. Though there was not a iota of technical hitch in promotion he was successful in halting my promotion. In fact the very next day after the interview, on my way from Taranaka to NC, I saw him walking down from his quarter towards department, my regards to my teacher came into fore, I picked him up on my bajaj 150 and dropped him at his lab. He called in showed his newly established Centre for Plant Molecular Biology and few doctoral thesis on his table (entire style was American) offered me a cup of tea. Nothing transpired of the previous days interview, but I had already known his actions. Questioning or challenging was not possible as interviews were never recorded then. Imagine my mentor was also on the board of selectors, as a mute spectator. 

During 80 to 93 I had very little interactions, except meeting him at departmental committee or BOS meetings, even there he could not touch my college affairs, our college being academically autonomous which he openly expressed it. (a displeasure) He retired in 1993.

The next interaction was in 2003 when incumbent director of CPMB, VD Reddy (my student) felicitated him on GMs 70th birthday at IICT auditorium. Putting his ego aside GM had to handover me a memento, courtesy VD Reddy, as I turned 54 on the same day. It was a surprise to know through VD Reddy that GM and me shared same birth date I.e. 16th November.

Finally assuming headship it was my opportunity to honour him. While felicitating SY Anwar in January 2009,  on his superannuation, we organised a three day symposia largely attended from dignitaries all over the country.The inaugural key note address was given by Padmashree EA Sidiqqui, first student of MS and the session chaired by PROFESSOR GURJAL MADHAVA REDDY. He was extremely happy to be associated and participated on all the three days. Several cameras flashed at various moments as he was senior most Geneticist.

He was a potential candidate for Vice Chancellorship, but could not it.

The climax of my association was bidding farewell to mortal remains by placing a wreath following his demise a few months later in 2009.  With a heavy heart I had to carry out this duty as HOD. This was followed by my address to the Faculty of Science, VC, Registrar and others, on GMs eternal departure. It took almost 50 minutes to briefly  summarise his achievements and pay tributes to the departed sole.


A WONDERFUL ROLLER COASTER JOURNEY WITH MY PEER TO REMEMBER
MY DEEPEST REGARDS TO GM FOR WHATEVER HE HAS BESTOWED UPON ME

31st December 2016 

(Prof GM received his MS & PhD from university of Colardo and Missouri, in 1956 and 1962,  respectively, a widely traveled GENETICIST OF REPUTE)

No comments: